Friday, December 23, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

I don't know of anyone who actually knows the words to this song or what they actually really mean, but, to quote my favorite movie of all time, "When Harry Met Sally", it's a song about old friends. 

And, while I'm thinking of it, I highly recommend that you download James Taylor's version of Auld Lang Syne.  It is, I think, the best rendition of the old standard out there.  Kind of makes you want to curl up by the fire with a hot toddy and snuggle up with your very own Hot Todd-y.  Okay, sorry about that.

So, at the end of almost every year people take a moment or two to reflect on the year and think about what it has meant to them....the good, the bad, the ugly.  I have already expressed that for the most part, this year has, well, sucked.  But, as I laid in bed this very early morning, thanks to the insomnia that has found it's way back into my world, I couldn't help but think about how extremely lucky I am for the relationships that I have developed, old and new, this past year.  I almost had to laugh, in spite of myself.  But, I do feel so blessed that in light of all of the sadness that has surrounded this past year I can recognize the beautiful connections that I have made that have made what should have been one of the worst years on record turn out to be one of the best. 

There are, of course, certain people in my life who need no mention.  Their relevance and importance in my life are implicit.  My children, to be exact.  They are my life.  My family, as a whole, is my life.  But, I need to express my gratitude towards my sisters.  They are my heroes.  These are the type of women that should make you proud to be a woman.  My sisters are, perhaps, the strongest, kindest, funniest, bravest, most generous and most loving women that I know.  I am proud to be their youngest (like how I slid that in there?) prodigy.  But, one of my sisters, in particular, has shown me this year that there are no boundaries to her love.  She is a gift from God.  She has gone above and beyond herself to care for our parents.  I worry about her constantly but know that I shouldn't because I'm pretty sure she's got a direct line to the big Guy.  He has put more fortitude and perseverance in that one woman than most of us could even recognize.  Anyone should be so lucky to know this woman.  I am so lucky to call her sister.

I have created new bonds this year that I think have truly changed my life.  I think when you get to a certain point in your life you recognize that you should really just focus your energy on positive relationships and not waste any more time on toxic and exhausting ones.  They just rob you of yourself.

It's important to me to mention a few individuals that have really touched my life this year.  If I were to acknowledge everyone who is important to me then you would be reading this blog up through the new year.  And, I realize that you are all very busy people.

There is a certain red-headed lady whom I have had the pleasure of getting to know.  Not extremely well, mind you, but enough to know that she is special.  She is a cancer survivor and she is fantastically fashionable.  I admire her and am so happy to have gotten to know her.  The brief and few conversations that we have had are of substance and I look forward to getting to know her even better.

As a child I assumed that you would have the same friends for the rest of your life and not make any others.  This is partially true, but, I am thrilled to know that you actually can make new friends, even in your forties!  I feel so fortunate to have become very close friends with a certain gal with whom I have a lot in common.  We bonded this past year over our life circumstances and have in the mean time developed a great friendship.  And, for that, I am thankful!

To a certain beauty queen, all I can say is, thank you.  You have been a rock to me.  I can not express my gratitude enough.  For as much as I know I have driven you crazy (and have actually been crazy) over the years you still stuck by me and helped me get through the tougher times.  I am lucky to call you my friend. 

Of course I have to mention a certain lovely Italian man!  I won't make you all squirm too much, but, I would be remiss if I didn't remark on this development in my life.  All I really want to say is, thank you....for making me smile, and for reminding me what "this" feels like.  Although, "this" is very different this time around. :)

I have had the same best friend since the day I was born.  How many of you can say that?  Yes, we've have our fair share of bumps over the years, but, for the most part, we have remained as close as two women can be.  She is more like a sister to me than anything.  I have to say that I feel like this year brought us full circle back to one another.  Not that we had drifted apart, it's just that there are miles between us and we were living very different lives.  It took a health scare for me to recognize how unbelievably important she is to me and that my world is much better with her in it.  I feel as though we have rekindled our relationship this year and I am so grateful for that. 

I wish I could go on.  In my head I have.  I am, I think one of the most fortunate people in the world because of the amazing people that have graced my life.  I thank you all, and you know who you are. 

Happy Holidays, to all of you.  I hope this finds you healthy and happy...and most of all grateful!  I am very grateful to all of you, for humoring me in my blogging/venting/journaling/writing efforts. Here's to another wonderful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment