Thursday, August 25, 2011

The "C" Word.

What a happy way to start your Friday!?  I promise I'm not going to try to bum anyone out.  But it's on my mind.

My best friend of 42 years is having a lumpectomy on Monday.  And she is going to require some radiation.  Some might say she's lucky.  I'm not so sure I'd consider it luck, but I am eternally grateful that they caught it early enough and that she's not going to have to endure what so many other victims of the "C" word have.

When I found out about her diagnosis I fell apart.  How could this be?  We were no longer talking about some one's mother or aunt or older sister.  It was one of us.  But, cancer is not selective.

It is EVERYWHERE!  Personally I'd like to make it through 1 day without hearing of another person that I know who has been diagnosed with this stupid disease.   A good friend from college lost her husband this past year to a very rare cancer.  I can't even begin to imagine this.  I did not know him at all, but from an outside perspective they seemed to be the real deal.  They were genuinely happy and in love with a beautiful family and their whole lives ahead of them.  This planet is consumed with miserable people who would just assume not be here.  Why not them?  I know it's a morbid thing to say but I'm guessing I'm not the only person out there who thinks this. 

I try to find as much humor in life as I possibly can.  But cancer has me stumped.  It's hard to laugh when it hits so close to home.

My family has had our fair share of cancer.  I guess you could say we are fortunate because it has not gotten the best of us yet.  Most recently my mom had lung cancer.  She is cancer free today, but let me tell you, we were all scared to death.  When the mortality of your parent is threatened you re-evaluate every angle of your life.  My sister had a scare with colon cancer.  But she, too, is free of it today.  My dad and I both have had malignant melanomas, and both were caught very early.  My other sister has dodged the "C" bullet thus far, but she's had more "unusual" health issues and deformities than Carter had pills.  So I think she should get a pass.  My oldest sister is a survivor of breast cancer.  She had to have a mastectomy and chemo.  And she made it through like a champ. I wrote a very short story about her a few years back that I entered into a scrapbooking contest.  Yes, that's right.  I entered a scrapbooking contest.  Laugh it off.  You done?  So, I thought I'd share it with you today.

I wish I had one ounce of my sister's character.  I wish that I had the courage to wear each and every piece of jewelry I could find that matched my outfit.  I wish I had the strength to anticipate chemotherapy simply because I knew that I would get a Big Mac when it was over.  I wish that I truly knew what it meant to love unconditionally and to be so loved in return.  I wish I had the compassion to cry whenever I saw a baby cry.  I wish that I could smile until my jaw ached and laugh joyfully with complete disregard of those around me.  I wish I were kind enough to make friends with every single person that I meet.  And I wish that I were confident enough to know that those friends lives were better because they knew me.  I wish I had the grace to thank everyone for how they have touched my life.  Above all, I pray that my children appreciate and learn from this beautiful woman.  This is my sister, Sally, the most remarkable woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing!


So, this one's in honor of you today, Poochie.  I love you.  And, I am so happy that you get to keep your boobies!

1 comment:

  1. So true, Julie. I am loving your blog. Three of my favorite people in the world are fighting this dreadful disease and I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete