Sunday, August 21, 2011

Check, please!

What do you get when you put a dog in a small pool? Several wet hens. I'm referring to the dating pool, by the way. I haven't been swimming for about 15 years and just recently decided to stick my toe in. Fortunately the theme music to jaws was playing loud and clear.

I'm not sure what I expected. But I guess when you live in a town with a population smaller than the capacity of Wrigley Field you should expect a little bit of crossover amongst the singles. But this was a first for me.

I am a very lucky woman. I have 2 wonderful children, a very close family and a fabulous group of friends. I feel as though I have settled into my new life fairly well. Is it what I would have chosen for myself? Absolutely not. But, for what it's worth, I am content. And, my boys are adjusting as well as I could expect them to. Honestly, I shouldn't want for more. But, there is something missing. Now, I am not one of those women who needs a man to be complete. I am very independent. Too much so some might say. But, to quote the brilliant Carrie Bradshaw, "I just want to feel the weight of a man's body on top of mine". Is that so much to ask for?

I am not a whore. Never have been. Wouldn't know how to be one at gunpoint. So I am not on the prowl. I would, however, like to be in the company of a man from time to time. And not the type of company given to me by my friend's husbands or even by my male co-workers. Not that I don't appreciate them for humoring me. 'Cause I do, fellas. But, frankly, I want to spend some quality time with a man who wants to spend quality time with me. And not with several of my good friends as well.

I mean, honestly, you can't blame a guy (or gal for that matter)for playing the field. But the problem we're confronted with here is that small pool I referred to. And, as women do, we talk. Compare notes. And discover things like the man you have been flirting with on Facebook is also flirting with (a minimum of) 2 of your good friends.

No harm, no foul. Honestly! But when you've been out of it as long as this girl has and said bachelor expresses possible interest in you, well, it stirs things up a bit. Next thing you know you're on your second glass of wine, sitting in the dark in your living room and giggling yourself silly while messaging back and forth with the bachelor. Little do you know that he's probably messaging your friends at the same time. Ah, well. If I had the same opportunity would I partake? Absofreakinglutely!

So, we did get some hearty chuckles out of this one. I actually enjoyed the ride! And as my dad used to say, "another streetcar will be by in about 5 minutes.". God I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment