Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Mommyhood

 A few things caught my eye today as I strolled around my house.  They are symbols of what my life is all about, which is being a mommy to my two awesome little boys.  I had the morning off from work and after taking my 9 year old to school I went ahead and took my 5 year old to day care.  He is in Pre K but his class does not start until 12:30.  I don't do this very often because I feel guilty.  I feel like if I'm not working then I should keep the boys at home with me if they are not in school.  Which 9 times out of 10 I do.  But every now and then I feel the need for a little "me time".  I hate saying it because it sounds so selfish.  But, I think we probably all need a little time to ourselves. 

So, today for my "free time", I like that better, what did I do?  I went to spinning class, came home and got on the computer searching for some fun new blogs.  Check out my list, by the way, I found some really great sites!  I peered over the top of my laptop at one point and saw this: 


This is a vintage cut glass bowl that was my grandmothers filled, rather thoughtfully I'd say, with Army guys and other action figures.  I love this piece and can never find the right thing to put in it.  I've tried filling it with candy, but, c'mon, that never lasts.  Not in this house.  So, I think I quite like my boys' idea of decorating.  I'll let them have this one.  But, of course, they're probably going to want to play with them later today.  Maybe they'll put them back?  Doubtful.

So, it became time for a potty break.  I had waited too long so I popped into the boys' bathroom as it was nearest.  Now normally I avoid their bathroom like the plague until it's cleaning day.  Boys are gross.  That's all I"m going to say.   Here is what I found:

 
Yup.  Gooped up, dried up, nasty tooth paste spat. I know. I'm guessing about 5 days' worth.  Yucko, right?  Lucky for you I used my camera on my phone so this picture isn't quite as clear as it could be.  Because I'm pretty sure I recognized some cereal remnants from this morning. Perhaps I need to add an extra cleaning day to my calendar.  But, what fun is there in that?  It almost looks like artwork, you know it?  I mean, art is subjective.  Maybe some day I'll walk in and see a replica of the Virgin Mary in their sink.  You just never know!

Next step in my leisure time was to do laundry.  Always a bright spot.  I made my way into my laundry room and low and behold my two young snipers had left me a present:


The little darlings were having target practice on the dryer.  At least it wasn't a paint gun or air rifle.  My house is infected with Nerf bullets.  They are under the couch, on the basement stairs, under the kitchen table and various other hiding places along with their comrades silly bands, Lego parts, gum wrappers and my favorite, crumbs. 

Honestly, I was grateful for all of the little "souvenirs" they had left behind for me.  And I didn't share them all with you, by the way.  Some are meant for mommy's eyes only.  Anyhoo, I couldn't help but grin and giggle at each of my discoveries.  It reminded me of them.  And how much I love them and couldn't wait to see them when I got home from work.  They may aggravate the crap out of me most of the time, I mean sometimes, I mean never.  But, usually about 5 minutes into my "free time" I am wishing they were with me.  I know, I'm a glutton for punishment.  I just can't help myself.  I loves my boys!!!

That's the view from my Mommyhood today.  Everyday is an adventure.  Today was certainly no exception!




No comments:

Post a Comment